August events at Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC), 538 Emery Road in Dingmans Ferry. peec.org, firstname.lastname@example.org, 570-828-2319.
• Pocono Quilt Camp, Friday to Friday, Aug. 11-18; $70 per day/call for commuter rates. Quilters of all skill levels welcome to a week of fabric activities. Includes lodging and meals.
• Pond Explorers, Saturday, Aug. 12, 1-3 p.m. $5. Collect anything else we find in collection bins for up-close study. Wear boots and plan on getting a little wet and muddy. Register early.
• Naturally Beautiful Beading, Sunday, Aug. 13, 10 a.m. to noon; $20. Learn to identify different stones such as jasper, geodes, agate or turquoise and the process used to color enhance the stones. How to create a bracelet and earrings or a necklace to take home.
• Tie-Dye Day, Saturday, Aug. 19, 10 a.m. to noon. $5. A morning of tie-dyeing with a variety of colors available and help you come up with some creative designs. Bring whatever you’d like to dye or purchase a shirt in the bookstore beforehand.
• Ecozone Discovery Room, Saturday, Aug. 19, 1-4 p.m. $2 per person. Climb into a bald eagle’s nest, crawl into a bat cave, explore a beaver lodge and dig in a fossil pit. Explore this indoor discovery room and enjoy hands-on exhibits on natural history, sustainability and the local environment.
• Frog Frolic, Sunday, Aug. 20, 1-3 p.m. $5. An afternoon at the ponds and streams. Learn about some of our frog friends as you gently catch and release these hopping amphibians. Wear boots and plan on getting a little wet and muddy.
• Butterfly Walk, Sunday, Aug. 27, 10 a.m. to noon. $5. Learn about the wonderful world of butterflies. Join David Trently on a search through the fields and around the ponds for butterflies and dragonflies. Call early; spaces fill up fast.