It’s the time of year when the temperatures start dropping, the snow starts falling and ski areas in the Pocono Mountains start gearing up for the winter season. Snowmaking has resumed at ski areas across the Poconos. For the most up-to-date information on opening dates and snow conditions, visit poconomountains.com/things-to-do/ski-snow-activities/snow-conditions/.
1 & 2.) Big Boulder Ski Area & Jack Frost Mountain
Big Boulder currently open Fridays-Sundays.
Jack Frost projected opening date: Dec. 14.
• $500,000 has been put into upgrades in park equipment, buildings, snowmaking and grooming equipment.
• Military discount program has been expanded, giving even more back to all active duty, retired and honorably discharged members of the US military.
3.) Blue Mountain Resort
• New E-store will allow riders to purchase tickets and rental equipment ahead of time online and scan their phone once arriving, to hit the slopes even faster.
• Rental fleet has been updated, replacing $400,000 in equipment.
4.) Shawnee Mountain
• Expanded grooming fleets and upgraded snowmaking equipment.
• New rental equipment; able to outfit more than 4,000 skiers/riders, making it one of the largest rental shops in the United States.
• New complimentary charging stations have been installed in several convenient locations in the Hope and Trepp Lodges.
Bonus offer: Three different Maxi Miser Deals are available to save big on lift tickets, rentals and lessons. Valid through 12/24.
5.) Camelback Mountain
• New terrain park and new trail have been added
• Two new on-site, ski-in ski-out restaurants; Berrelli’s Family Style Italian and Kartrite’s Summit House
• 15 acres have been cleared for new beginner terrain
Bonus offer: early-bird offers will save you some money. Valid through 12/15.
6.) Big Bear
Projected opening: Dec. 15
New in 2018-2019:
• New and improved snow guns have been installed
• New incentives for residents have been created, as well as packages with nearby lodging partners for visitors
• New perks and discounts for season pass holders
Bonus offer: take advantage of Ski Big Bear’s extraordinary lessons and learn to ski or snowboard at a steep discount in January, which is, after all, Learn to Ski & Snowboard Month. Valid through 1/31.